A range of homework activities will be set for your child. All the activities are intended to support your child's learning in school (either consolidating recently taught concepts, reviewing existing knowledge in advance of upcoming class work, or, in the case of the 'homework grid', allowing an opportunity to find out more about areas of our class Topic that your child is especially interested in).
If children are falling behind or don't have access to a computer at home, they can arrange with me to complete it during lunch times at school.
At the start of year 4, the following homework will be set:
- Learn spellings and hand back home learning on a Thursday. 'Look, Cover, Write, Check,' sheets will be sent home each Thursday.
- Spelling Shed Your child has a Spelling shed login. This is another website that the children can access at home to support their spelling.
- Times tables (TT Rockstars) - your child should spend a short time on this website at least 4 times a week. Please download the free app onto tablets, phones etc as this makes it really easy for your child to undertake practise in a 'little and often' approach - 5 minutes most days will have an enormous impact. The aim is for children to know all their times tables (up to 12) by the end of year 4.
- Reading Reading Miles are collected on Thursdays. Please support your child to read regularly and record the minutes they read in their Reading Diary. Even if your child is a confident reader, spending time reading to you is very helpful and will help them to improve their reading skills even further.
- Manga High https://app.mangahigh.com/home School ID: 413583. It is very important that the children have pencil and paper next to them as they complete these challenges as working out will often be required. Parents - please feel free to help your child with this homework. Even just reading the questions with them and slowing them down, encouraging working etc. makes a huge impact.
- Topic home learning At different points in the year your child may be given topic home learning tasks.
- Core Skills your child may be given written Maths or English work to complete in their Core Skills home learning book. This will be due in on Thursdays.
Note to parents regarding spellings
The children will have a double sided copy of the spellings to help them learn for the weekly test (and, more importantly, to use in their writing). The blank copy available on the website is to allow you to print additional copies if you would like (just fill in that week's words).
I have also provided a copy of all the spellings we will cover for the term ahead.
A suggested method of learning these spellings is set out below:
- When the spellings are issued, read the words with your child and ensure they understand the meaning (this is likely to have been discussed in school also).
- Have a mini-test on the words (reading the word within a sentence can help with this) to identify which words they already are confident in.
- Use the 'Look, Cover, Write, Check' sheets for independent practise. One effective way to do this is to block out the rows of the words they are already confident in (perhaps just leaving one box to ensure they remain confident). Your child can then practise on their own (work along each row - look, cover, checking each time they write the word - in turn, so that they write the same word several times).
- On another day, once they have practised interdependently (as above) at least one or two times, hold another mini-test and, if they know more words, block out further rows as needed.
- They can then focus any additional practise, in the same way, on the words that they still find tricky.